Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Cal. 380 What Do You Suggest...? (Read 6913 times)
xXxplosive
Ex Member

Cal. 380 What Do You Suggest...?
Jun 24th, 2009 at 2:14pm

Any suggestions for a .380 bug...something reliable and trustworthy in the clinch that can be easily concealed.

What Say You..................?

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Re: Cal. 380 What Do You Suggest...?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:07pm

You need a reliable .380 to trust your life to. Remember your Back Up Gun (BUG) may be your only carry piece.  In fact, it will be if your primary gun goes south. My picks are:

1. The LWS Seecamp .380
http://seecamp.com/products.htm
Deep cover reliability. A work of art.

2. Beretta Cheetah 84FS
http://BerettaUSA.com
Reliable and high capacity (14 rounds).

3. Sig Sauer P232
http://SigSauer.com
Reliable and very shootable and accurate.

4. North American Arms Guardian .380
http://NorthAmericanArms.com
Convenient, reliable and pretty.

IP Logged

texas shooter

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 5:14pm

I carry a Kel-Tec .380 as a backup on occasions.  I have found it to be totally reliable with all kinds of ammo, which is not usually the case with these little guns.  Also, it is easy and inexpensive to install a laser sight if you are so inclined since the small sights on these pocket guns are worthless.

IP Logged

Scott
YaBB Administrator

Need A Forum For Your
Group? Contact Scott!

Springfield, Mass
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:06pm

I have a little polymer frame SW380. I'm told it is the only 380 Smith and Wesson ever made. The gun developed a terrible reputation and was only made for a relatively short time. But I love it. Seems to be lighter than my S&W 442, has a good feel in the hand, and a very tolerable recoil.

SW380.jpg (122 KB | 95 )
SW380.jpg

Scott Noyes
Defensive Handguns Forum Administrator
Firing Line Design
Firearms-Friendly Website Design Nationwide
http://firinglinedesign.com
IP Logged

drt

Never to old to learn.
Daily carry. NRA Instructor

Piedmont, NC
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:33pm

I like the NAA Guardian .380.

The NRA Needs you for the preservation of the 2nd amendment and firearms.

May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.---Today is the very first day of the rest of your life.

IP Logged

Dan K

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:12am

Hi all,
I believe what you want is the Kal-Tec Micro 380P-3AT.  It's very small, inespensive, especially considering it's reliablity.  Remember, after a shooting, the police will have the gun and you might never see it again.

The use of such a weapon will be a ranges of six feet or less, so stellar acuracy isn't needed, that said, it''s about as accurate as a small gun can get. 

The biggest problem of these weak cartridges in short barrels is loss of penetration.  It is highly unlikely that you will get any bullet expantion, but you might get surface blowup, which would be potentialy fatil to you.  A high percentage of the perpatrators on the streets are hopped up on drugs or have some psycho derangement that would not cause them to react as if they were a normal and calm person.  My recomendation would be the heavy load availble from Buffelo Bore.  Tim makes one that will penatrate like a .38 std. load and do some dammage.  Then buy some of the cheaper round nosed hardball stuff for practice.  DO NOT use round nose bullets for protection, they could get you dead in a hurry, even if they proved fatal to the perpatrator later.  They might get the penetration, but they tend to push tissue asside rather than cause dammage.
Dan

IP Logged

Appalachian Freedom Outdoors
Global Moderator

Soldier of the Cross

Appalachian Foothills
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:30am

Greetings!  I realize that this thread is about "Semi-Autos", but it really is hard to beat a J-Frame for a reliable BUG (Mine rides well in a pocket holster) -- I put Crimson Trace laser grips and mine, which I highly recommend for low light situations and the possibility of having to shoot from an awkward position.
   Smiley

WWW http://www.facebook.com/AppFreedom  
IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 7:34pm

I'll admit I own two Keltec .380 3ATs. Carried more than shot. But, over the three hundred or so rounds I've put through each of them, not a hiccup. While we're on the topic, the Ruger LCP .380 holds promise. But, the recall aside, about 50% of owners I've talked with have had trigger reset problems and jamming problems. On the other hand, mine has worked flawlessly. Over 500 rounds without a hiccup and NO cleaning. I wanted to run it to the gorund. I cleaned it and then sent it back to the factory for the recall fix. Haven't shot it since it came back. Got it back from the factory recall about 3 weeks ago. They installed a new hammer mechanism.

IP Logged

Bravo Sierra

Proud Supporter of NRA,
GOA, SAF, JPFO

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 2:15pm

I find tiny 380's are not accurate to even 10 ft. Read ruger LCP. The larger ones (Sig 232) are accurate. 380 is approximately $1.00 per bullet anywhere around here, when you can find it.

I use a Kel-Tec PF9 instead
I can blow the bullseye out of a 12"x12" target at 15 ft with my PF9 and a box of ammo, and I stink...  (bad eyes)

It's ammo sensitive though.  PMC Bronze works best so far, but can't really find a selection to try (read shortage)

Kel-Tec authorizes use +P for the PF9, though not for extended use. +P or hotter ammo is more reliable for cycling the slide.  Don't ever put Wolfe in it, it'll make you cry  Cry

Idea to buy it came from my local gunshop owner , who always has one on him.  The $330 price tag helped too, and I don't care about it as long as it functions.

Cabelas Trail shorts, Uncle Mike's pocket holster (size 4), front pocket carry. Less than 19 ounces loaded including 7rds and the holster. 

IP Logged

JaxVol

IDPA Safety Officer

Jackson, TN
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:05pm

I have both a .380 Sig P232 and a .380 Ruger LCP.  The Sig is a much better gun BUT it is too heavy and I won't carry it because the weight starts bothereing me.  So purchased the Ruger LCP and started carrying it.  It is very light and easy to carry.  I carry it in an ankle holster (with a strap around the top of my calf).  I can carry it all day and hardly notice it at all.   The Ruger LCP .380 also shoots very well. 

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:36pm

JaxVol wrote on Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:05pm:
I have both a .380 Sig P232 and a .380 Ruger LCP.  The Sig is a much better gun BUT it is too heavy and I won't carry it because the weight starts bothereing me.  So purchased the Ruger LCP and started carrying it.  It is very light and easy to carry.  I carry it in an ankle holster (with a strap around the top of my calf).  I can carry it all day and hardly notice it at all.   The Ruger LCP .380 also shoots very well. 

The truth is that if a gun is painful to carry, you won't keep carrying it no matter how reliable a shooter it is. With their fix of the LCP, I hope that Ruger now has a winner. The little gun is definitely a pleasure to carry.

IP Logged

Old Zebra

Arizona
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:54pm

Quote:
Any suggestions for a .380 bug...something reliable and trustworthy in the clinch that can be easily concealed.

What Say You..................?

If you're convinced a .380 pistol is what you want, you might take a look at Sig's new P238.  It's very similar to the Colt Mustang.  I haven't handled one yet, but I'm looking forward to receiving the one I've ordered.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=67&pr...

IP Logged

Armenius
Master Member

Inveterate Tinkerer

Filthydelphia
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 9:22pm

OK, while I much prefer to pop my G26 in my pocket, this summer I have found the Ruger LCP to be almost as common there. Light, a good build quality and despite the recall, utterly reliable. If you do not mind stretching the pocket or belt carry, the Bersa Thunder 380 is a nice pistol for relatively little money that mirrors the Sig and Walther in many ways (finish is not one of them, but accuracy and reliability are and in the case of a S&W Walther, leaps above).

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
-Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 8:22pm

Armenius wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 at 9:22pm:
OK, while I much prefer to pop my G26 in my pocket, this summer I have found the Ruger LCP to be almost as common there. Light, a good build quality and despite the recall, utterly reliable. If you do not mind stretching the pocket or belt carry, the Bersa Thunder 380 is a nice pistol for relatively little money that mirrors the Sig and Walther in many ways (finish is not one of them, but accuracy and reliability are and in the case of a S&W Walther, leaps above).

The Bersa Thunder .380 is utterly reliable. I own two.
As I mentioned in a previous post, my Ruger LCP has been utterly reliable with NO cleaning after approx 500 rounds.

IP Logged

DavidA

Proud Firearm Supporter

Mocksville, NC (Piedmont, NC)
Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:38pm

A little Kel Tec P3AT stays in my pocket and goes nearly everywhere that I go. Most of the time I am carrying my .45 cal. 1911 or my S&W 4006 in an IWB holster (depending on weather and what cloths I choose to wear). I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and it is a good shooter andis dependable but it is not as comfortable in my pocket as the little P3AT so it stays home quite a bit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print