Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
S&W 442/642 VS. Ruger LCR (Read 52054 times)
Mopic

Proud Firearm Supporter

S&W 442/642 VS. Ruger LCR
Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:07pm

Hi-
I continue to research the different handguns for concealed carry and have narrowed the field to two revolvers...the S&W 442/642 and the Ruger LCR. Anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of these two?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Re: S&W 442/642 VS. Ruger LCR
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:19pm

IMHO, I would go with the Smith 442 or 642. They are tried and proven and hard to beat to boot. Ruger has been releasing new products too soon it seems, and then they need to be recalled. With all due respect to Ruger, but realistically speaking, on the Ruger LCR, based on my experience with their LCP and SR9 (recalls), I'd be judicious and take a wait and see approach.

IP Logged

Scott
YaBB Administrator

Need A Forum For Your
Group? Contact Scott!

Springfield, Mass
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:39pm

I love my little S&W 442. Mine is equipped with a Crimson Trace laser grip and that combination provides me great comfort.

In the event of an intrusion, I will go to my bedside VLine Top Draw gun safe which contains the 442 with the Crimson Trace, and a S&W SW99C 9mm. If I ever had to make the choice, I think I would put the 442 in my right hand, and keep the SW99 in my bathrobe pocket or left hand as a backup. I like idea of the laser telling me - and the bad guy - exactly where that bullet is going to go if he does the wrong thing.

Bruce Eimer turned me on to the safe - I've got to get another one. Perfect for safe storage in a nightstand or bureau drawer, with quick and easy access that I can do in total darkness, so that I don't give up my location to a perpetrator by turning on a light.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/2912.html

Scott Noyes
Defensive Handguns Forum Administrator
Firing Line Design
Firearms-Friendly Website Design Nationwide
http://firinglinedesign.com
IP Logged

Dan K

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:11am

Stick with the S&W's.
Dan

IP Logged

Jim S

Member USCCA/Life Member
NRA

Middlebury, Indiana
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:21pm

I must admit that I like Ruger products.  However, over the last 40 years, my experience with S&W has been excellent.  While searching for a new concealed carry pistol/revolver, I came across a special sale at the local gun shop on S&W airweight J-frame revolvers.  I purchased a new 642 and put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it.  After trying it out on the range, I was so impressed, that after 2 months, I went back just before the sale ended and bought another 642, and put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it, too.

I can slip either one of these revolvers into a Galco pocket holster or a DeSantis pocket holster and carry either comfortably all day. 

Yes, with Speer GDHP ammunition, the recoil is brisk and these little pocket revolvers require a very firm hold.  I also acknowledge that five shots is not very many compared to a hi-cap 9mm, but how many shots should it take to stop an attacker.  I do carry an HKS 5-shot speedloader on my belt.  I've only had one person (a curious one) ask me what the Bianchi carrier on my belt was for. She didn't notice what was in my pocket.

BTW, I've had an Indiana PPP (Personal Protection Permit) since 1969.  (I've got to get a Florida non-resident permit.)

IP Logged

yechave

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Mopic wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:07pm:
Hi-
I continue to research the different handguns for concealed carry and have narrowed the field to two revolvers...the S&W 442/642 and the Ruger LCR. Anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of these two?
Thanks.

I gave a GREAT deal of consideration for a practical carry pistol and decided to go with the S&W 642, which I bought in Jan 09. I had the factory do a J frame enhancement for just under $100 (call S&W for details), came with factory CT laser (HIGHLY recommend one), and could not be more pleased! I paid $550 for the entire purchase, including the factory enhancement. After a number of holster purchases, I ended up with the Bianchi IWB and a couple of Uncle Mike's pocket and IWB holsters.

Almost every firearm I purchased prior to the mid 90's was nearly perfect out of the box. Just about every firearm I bought since 2000, has had way too many issues, and I refused to waste more money and range time on a semi auto, testing it for months just to be absolutely certain it would work when needed.

I had two Springfield TRP Champions fail repeatedly and between the two, I paid to return them at least a dozen times, plus an hour drive to and from the gun shop for each return. I finally got a refund, but took quite a hit on the wallet. I just could not in good conscience trade the TRP. That entire ordeal took about three years I believe.

I then bought a Kimber Grand Raptor .45, which has had no issues with the gun itself. I did buy two .22 conversion kits, both failed rather quickly, so I gave up on the conversion kit. I like this more so than my 70 series Gold Cup. This was my primary carry until I got the much easier to conceal S&W. I also bought the CT laser for the Kimber. I found it to be way too heavy for practical every day carry on my person, IMO. I would not want any carry pistol without the laser.

I also bought a BM AR Super V Match, which had to be returned six times. They have outstanding customer service, paid for all shipping costs and repairs. I was out the $$$$ for all the ammo and time spent running back and forth to the range. At least I can count on it when the time comes.

IP Logged

DrBoomBoom

Pro Gun Voter

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 3:31pm

My son has a 642 with a CT laser grip. I've had the pleasure of carrying it a few times, as well as taking it to several range trips. It is a fine gun and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a snub nose.

My only Ruger is a GP100, not at all a pocket gun, but it would make an excellent nightstand gun or a carry gun when a gun of its size can be easily concealed. I agree with Dr. Eimer that it would be better to give new Ruger products a little time. Lately they seem to be using their customers as their testing lab. It's a shame, their proven products are excellent.

IP Logged

pneuby

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:26pm

I am extremely tempted to get an LCR. I have been a user of J-frames, off an on, for 20+ years. I can say that the LCR models I've handled have better triggers, out of the box, than any stock J-frame. It's as light as any J-frame, and it's not appreciably larger if you put similar Hogue grips onto the Smith.

I did get the chance to shoot one at a recent event in which Ruger had their demo crew. I put at least 4 cylinders of +p through it, including one-handed. It did not climb up out of my grips as with 'boot grips' on a J-frame. It was easier in recoil, no doubt thanks to those Hogues. I was impressed at how smooth it remained after probably hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds without cleaning.

However, the others are right in counseling you to WAIT. Ruger's just had some teething issues right now on new models. Sad, but true. Unless you have funds to buy BOTH, stick with the Smith for now.  Wink

IP Logged

Turx
Global Moderator

Proud Firearm Supporter

SWPA
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:48pm

While I'm a big Ruger fan, the LCR is quite new and it's true that Ruger has had a few issues with their latest releases. The S&W is probably the way to go for right now, they are a time proven revolver. And.... that will be an excuse to buy another gun down the road after the LCR proves it's reliable!

NRA Life Member, Shooter, Collect / Acquire

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:17pm

I have not shot a Ruger LCR yet. I did take another look at one the other day at my local gun shop, dry firing until my friend, the store owner, sniped, "are you gonna buy that thing?" Well, I did not buy one yet. However, I do agree that:
1. It feels real good in my hands.
2. The out of the box trigger is pretty smooth.
3. It points well.

IP Logged

Bulldog Custom Gun Leather

Proud Member NRA/USPSA-NROI

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:34pm

I pocket carry a 442 daily as a back up to my Glock 23 service weapon. I've always prefered a revolver for my back up gun. I've had several j frame snubs over the years and can honestly say, I've never had a bad one. I've also owned a Ruger P89 and a couple of Ruger single action Blackhawks. I've always been happy with my Rugers too  A polymar frame revolver  like the LCR is an interesting concept and I hope to try one out.

Bulldog Custom Gun Leather
Custom Concealed Holsters
bulldogleathercompany.com

IP Logged

Appalachian Freedom Outdoors
Global Moderator

Soldier of the Cross

Appalachian Foothills
Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:29am

Just a thought...Ruger has had some problems with new releases of semi-autos, but they have been putting out really good revolvers for a very long time.  To date, I've yet to hear anything negative about the LCR -- It really seems to be a promising gun -- Just wish that it was cheaper!

WWW http://www.facebook.com/AppFreedom  
IP Logged

Dot_mdb

NRA member

Florida
Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:23pm

For the time being I consider the LCR to be a special purpose revolver.  I like the idea of carrying the LCR in a SmartCarry holster.  I carry an S&W 640 IWB most of the time but also carry it two days each week in a SmartCarry holster.  The all stainless 640 will corrode if the grips are not removed for a wipe down fairly frequently.  The LCR with the polymer frame is going to be a lot more tolerant of perspiration.

I haven't handled an LCR yet.  My 640 has the standard Magna wood grips with the Tyler T-grip.  The gun practically jumps into my hand and is properly indexed for an accurate first shot.  The LCR would have to fit my hand in the same way for me to have an interest in buying it.

Bill

IP Logged

Appalachian Freedom Outdoors
Global Moderator

Soldier of the Cross

Appalachian Foothills
Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 7:45pm

Dot_mdb wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:23pm:
The LCR with the polymer frame is going to be a lot more tolerant of perspiration.  Bill

That really is a great point!  I hadn't thought about that!  I just wish that they were cheaper!  Maybe an S&W snob will stick one in a yard sale and I'll snap it up and give it a go!   Cool

WWW http://www.facebook.com/AppFreedom  
IP Logged

Nite Ryder

Gun Totin' Infidel

Southern Oregon
Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 12:44am

I have more than one J Frame, one is the 442.  They all have Crimson Trace grips on them.  I've never had a problem with any of these J Frames, except the 351 PD.  I shoots about 4" to the left at 50 yards, so I don't plan on using the iron sights ever.  I have 21 single action Rugers and a double action Redhawk, and 6 Ruger 22 autoloader pistols.  I will never buy one of their other auto loader pistols or revolvers.  I think they sometimes get in a hurry to release a gun, when they should do more testing.  Can't help it, my Kimber Ultra Carry is my very favorite carry gun.  My 610 S&W is by far the quickest revolver I have to reload, because it uses moon clips, but a 4" barrel is not as easy to conceal as a semi auto which is a thinner gun.

If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print