Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smith and Wesson Walther PPK (Read 13464 times)
Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Smith and Wesson Walther PPK
Aug 30th, 2009 at 1:44pm

I received my PPK .380 back from S&W's Walther plant (Houlton, ME) this week. I didn't even get a chance to take it to the range before it malfunctioned!

First, they had it since March. I had sent it back for the factory recall. That's 6 months. It wasn't malfunctioning before I sent it back.

As I was function checking it before loading it after I received it back from the factory, the following happened:

When the hammer was cocked, the decock/safety lever would not decock the hammer! It worked the first few times I cycled the action. Then it just stopped working. This could be real dangerous if you had just chambered a live round. Obviously, you'd have to eject the round before using the trigger to decock.

I will have to call the factory this week and send it back. But this is really frustrating--after a 6 month wait for the recalled gun to come back home!

Smith however does have excellent customer service. I am a big big fan of Smith's revolvers and semi-autos. IMHO, they make the best revolvers on the planet. In their defense, these are Walthers, and NOT Smiths. But.....I am sure S&W will make good.

walther_ppk.jpg (38 KB | 353 )
walther_ppk.jpg
IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Oregon
Re: Smith and Wesson Walther PPK
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 11:39pm

Well here I am again, gotta defend the PPK.  I've owned a PPK for about 40 years.  It was my pocket pistol backup even when I was in uniform.  It fit in a jock strap real well too when I was UC  I used it because it was the most safe.  I fired hundreds of rounds thru it and never had a problem.  The decocker/safety work very well.   It saved my bacon a couple of times.  I gave that gun to my daughter because it is so safe and reliable and bought me a PPKS which fits my big clubby hands better.  I have had it for probably 20 years and never had a problem.  The PPK was made in West Germany 1966 and the PPKS was made by Interarms in Virginia 1974.  I carried S & W model 10 & 19 in three different barrel lengths both in uniform and plain clothes.   Never had a problem with any.  Never had a misfire, jam, nothing broke etc.  and I put many, many rounds thru each.  Practice, practice, practice.  I'm real sorry ammo is so hard to find and so expensive right now.  Slows my practice.  Don't know why you had the experience you did and I recognize that you're the expert but I can only relate to many years of experience. 
Now I know that this epistle sounds arguementative but it is not meant to be, just a defender of good weapons. 
That's all  Wink

Retired LEO of 40 years
Proud American Constitutionalist
Proud Oathkeeper
NRA life, GOA life, OFF life.   
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Re: Smith and Wesson Walther PPK
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:47am

old codger wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 11:39pm:
Well here I am again, gotta defend the PPK.  I've owned a PPK for about 40 years.  It was my pocket pistol backup even when I was in uniform.  It fit in a jock strap real well too when I was UC  I used it because it was the most safe.  I fired hundreds of rounds thru it and never had a problem.  The decocker/safety work very well.   It saved my bacon a couple of times.  I gave that gun to my daughter because it is so safe and reliable and bought me a PPKS which fits my big clubby hands better.  I have had it for probably 20 years and never had a problem.  The PPK was made in West Germany 1966 and the PPKS was made by Interarms in Virginia 1974.  I carried S & W model 10 & 19 in three different barrel lengths both in uniform and plain clothes.   Never had a problem with any.  Never had a misfire, jam, nothing broke etc.  and I put many, many rounds thru each.  Practice, practice, practice.  I'm real sorry ammo is so hard to find and so expensive right now.  Slows my practice.  Don't know why you had the experience you did and I recognize that you're the expert but I can only relate to many years of experience. 
Now I know that this epistle sounds arguementative but it is not meant to be, just a defender of good weapons. 
That's all  Wink

The older Interarms PPKs were great. I'd love to find one.   

I sold a .32 PPK West German PPK about 5 yrs ago. That was a BIG Mistake.  Cry
I love Smith & Wesson, but the company has really had a lot of QC problems with their PPKs since they took it over in 2002 I believe.

/Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print