NAA Pug .22 Magnum (Read 14725 times)
Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
NAA Pug .22 Magnum
Jul 8th, 2010 at 9:23pm

The NAA .22 Mag Pug is my gym gun. As it is single action, you can safely and discreetly carry it in a pair of gym shorts or sweats without a holster. The Pug packs a good punch. It really doesn't jump out of your hand. It is very controllable. I won two. Kudos to North American Arms!

http://bruceeimer.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pug03.jpg

NAA .22 Magnum Pug: The “Always With You” Pocket Rocket

June 1, 2009 Review by Bruce Eimer
North American Arms Pug

About a month ago, I was in my favorite local gun shop and I came across the North American Arms .22 Magnum Pug single action mini-revolver. One look at this baby and I knew I had to own it. Ever since that day, my NAA Pug has been my constant pocket companion no matter what I am wearing. It is so tiny, yet it is a very substantial pocket gun, with its oversized pebble-textured rubber grips, bull barrel, and XS 24/7 sights. Weighing in at only 6.4 oz., I have literally forgotten it was in my pocket!  In fact, one time, I had thrown my J-frame into my pocket before leaving the house. Later on, as I was reaching inside for my J, I noticed that I had the Pug in there with the J! Neither gun complained. They got along very well and quietly.

This Pug has ended my search for an “all the time pocket gun”. By that I mean a gun that rides in the pocket of my gym shorts, my pajamas, sweat pants, in the house and anywhere. It won’t drag your pants down and the price won’t empty your wallet! When I go to the gym, I can put it into and remove it from my locker without anyone the wiser as I can completely conceal it in my medium sized fist. Furthermore, because it is single action (meaning you have to manually cock the hammer in order to be able to fire the gun), I feel safe carrying it in my pocket without a holster next to my keys. And I am a holster guy for every gun, pocket pistol, snubby, or otherwise. With DAO, DA/SA and SA 1911 style handguns, you need a holster to protect the trigger guard.
Pug on hand

Pug on hand

The name “Pug” may have derived from the Latin Pugnus, meaning Fist. With this in mind, the NAA Pug can be characterized as multum in parvo (“much in little”) in reference to the small and convenient size. Squat and sturdy like its namesake dog, The NAA Pug is chambered in .22 Magnum and sports a 1” heavy barrel. You can count on this stocky companion to deliver a bite even worse than his bark. Slightly oversized pebble-textured rubber grips enable the handler to keep a firm “leash” on this pocket-sized puppy. The XS sighting system provides a quick sight picture and will enable the handler to direct the bite. The pedigree is pure North American Arms.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Caliber: .22 Magnum
Capacity: 5
Material: 17-4 pH Stainless Steel
Barrel length: 1 inch
Overall length: 4 1/2 inches
Overall height: 2 3/4 inches
Width: 7/8 inches
Weight: 6.4 oz. unloaded

The NAA Pug can be used with all popular factory .22 Magnum ammunition, including .22 Magnum shot shells; also called “snake shot”.

You can get the gun with an XS White Dot front sight or an XS 24/7 Tritium front night sight. Either option is highly visible even to these aging eyes. These sights are designed for close quarter work. The rear notch helps align the sights on target, but basically you simply place the front sight on your aim point and fire. The NAA Pug delivers true 24 hour personal protection!
Great sight picture with XS 24/7 night sights

Great sight picture with XS 24/7 night sights

North American Arms
2150 S. 950 E., Provo, UT 84606-6285
Tel: 800.821.5783
http://NorthAmericanArms.com

The single action Pug shoots 3 inch groups to point of aim at 3 yards. At 5 yards, the groups open up a bit as is expected. The very nice single action trigger and rubber grip make the gun a breeze to fire one handed. With the big dot front sight, firing with a two handed grip, you can score center of mass shots reliably at 7 yards. That is very respectable for a little gun. Recoil is not a problem. This gun is a true point shooter.

I liked this gun soooo much, I actually bought a second one two weeks after I bought the first. Think of the possibilities.

/Bruce

IP Logged

Shadowman
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Re: NAA Pug .22 Magnum
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:12am

Bruce...

I posted a reply regarding a safety issue when pocket carrying the NAA mini w/o a holster to your NAA Pug review in the "Choosing A Defensive Firearm" section.  I'm pasting my reply here also...

One word of caution if you're carrying the NAA mini revolver without a holster using the safety notch.  Pocket carry in the safety notch is very, very unsafe.   You need to protect the hammer in a holster to assure safety.  It's much safer to carry w/o a holster with the hammer down on an empty cylinder instead.  Here's why...

With the hammer down on an empty cyl, the hammer must be drawn back halfway, past halfcock, to release cyl bolt thus freeing cyl.  With the hammer down in the slot, the cyl bolt is released, and it takes a mere .018 (eighteen thousandths) movement of hammer to release the cyl which then can spin in either direction to contact primer (rim) with less than 1 ounce touch. The hammer in slot can release the cyl with a slight brush - placing IWB, rub against sleeve, etc... Basically with the hammer in slot you are .018 inch and one ounce from eternity. I'd rather not shoot a hole in my femoral artery.

I've got two NAA minis - LR & Mag -and they both work this way.  Check out your Pug, unloaded of course.  I'm guessing it's the same.

Shadowman...

Veteran - US Marine Corps
Life Member - NRA
Member - ISRA

IP Logged

trlhrv

Proud Firearm Supporter

Richardson, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 7:27pm

Bruce,

I have a Pug as well. It's a great pistol for quick trips where you can just drop it in the pocket. It is very convenient when dressed for the Texas summers.

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 9:36pm

Shadowman wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:12am:
Bruce...

I posted a reply regarding a safety issue when pocket carrying the NAA mini w/o a holster to your NAA Pug review in the "Choosing A Defensive Firearm" section.  I'm pasting my reply here also...

One word of caution if you're carrying the NAA mini revolver without a holster using the safety notch.  Pocket carry in the safety notch is very, very unsafe.   You need to protect the hammer in a holster to assure safety.  It's much safer to carry w/o a holster with the hammer down on an empty cylinder instead.  Here's why...

With the hammer down on an empty cyl, the hammer must be drawn back halfway, past halfcock, to release cyl bolt thus freeing cyl.  With the hammer down in the slot, the cyl bolt is released, and it takes a mere .018 (eighteen thousandths) movement of hammer to release the cyl which then can spin in either direction to contact primer (rim) with less than 1 ounce touch. The hammer in slot can release the cyl with a slight brush - placing IWB, rub against sleeve, etc... Basically with the hammer in slot you are .018 inch and one ounce from eternity. I'd rather not shoot a hole in my femoral artery.

I've got two NAA minis - LR & Mag -and they both work this way.  Check out your Pug, unloaded of course.  I'm guessing it's the same.

Shadowman...

Thank you for sharing these facts! I will no longer carry this piece with the hammer over the "safety notch". In fact, now I'm rethinking the value of the gun--basically a 4 shooter. Your analysis makes perfect sense. Someone ought to have a discussion with NAA's Factory to get their take.

/Bruce

IP Logged

Shadowman
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 1:02am

Bruce... It can still be carried safely with the hammer in the safety slot & 5 rounds as long as it's seated in a properly designed holster. Several vendors make holsters for NAA minis that both protect the hammer and are molded to match the flutes in the cylinder such that the cylinder will not turn even if the hammer is dislodged.  They don't add much bulk to the mini.  Some are even designed to fit in an oversized watch pocket available on some jeans.  Check the NAA message boards or ebay, where some occasionally show up.

Shadowman...

Life Member - NRA
Member - ISRA

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 6:15am

Thanks for that information. If you happen to come across any information on the specific makes for any of those holsters, I'd appreciate learning what they are so I can get one.

/Bruce

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Bruce (et alia):

Try this website:  http://www.concealmentholstersolutions.com/

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:58pm

Thanks Mickey.

/Bruce

IP Logged

Shadowman
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:40pm

Here's another one Bruce...

http://madhatleather.blogspot.com/

Shadowman...

Life Member - NRA
Member - ISRA

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 6:05pm

Shadowman wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:40pm:
Here's another one Bruce...

http://madhatleather.blogspot.com/

Shadowman...

Cool!  I guess I'll just have to buy one of these little puppies so I can go out and buy a holster, too.   Grin

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

IP Logged

madhatleather

Proud Firearm Supporter

Idaho
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:56pm

Bruce,
Your order is finished, if you could please contact me either by phone or email .....  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print