Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many people with Concealed Carry Permits have commited Crimes? (Read 3667 times)
Stingray
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Central Pennsylvania
How many people with Concealed Carry Permits have commited Crimes?
May 8th, 2011 at 8:54pm

We are currently having a local debate about a city in Pennsylvania passing a local ordinance about prohibiting the carrying of firearms in local city parks. Their ordinance violates state law.

One of my argument "points" has been that people who go to the trouble to obtain CC Permits don't commit crimes with their firearms.  I recently spoke with my local county sheriff...his office issues over 1,500 permits a year. In the past five years he has revoked less then a dozen permits.....NONE of them have been revoked and no arrests have been made for people committing a crime with a firearm!!  A few domestic arguments, a few drunk and disorderly type things....but no robberies, rapes, murders, etc.....NONE  Wink

Now....I would like to hear about other counties and states....what are your arrest stats for CC Permitted people committing crimes with guns? 

A lot of anti-gun people blather on about the area becoming the Wild Wild West or a free fire zone...gun fights over parking spaces, road rage incidents, etc., etc.. I have challenged them to "show me the numbers"....so far....nothing.   Undecided

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Re: How many people with Concealed Carry Permits have commited Crimes?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2011 at 11:57am

The two website links, following, will probably give you everything you need.  The first one, on conviction rates, it done every year; to get an overall figure, you'd have to take the rates from 1996 through 2009 and add them up.

The second is the number of licenses currently held.  Past year's figures are probably not going to be needed, as they no longer pertain. 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/demographics.htm

Hope this helps answer your question.

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

IP Logged

Stingray
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Central Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2011 at 9:44am

Big Mickey....great links///thanks.  Smiley

Pretty hard to dispute the "facts"...must be why the anti-gun people never use them.

IP Logged

Shadowman
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:40pm

Stingray wrote on May 10th, 2011 at 9:44am:
Pretty hard to dispute the "facts"...must be why the anti-gun people never use them.

The anti-gunners don't want to be confused with the facts...

Veteran - US Marine Corps
Life Member - NRA
Member - ISRA

IP Logged

inkmancool

CT
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:55am

So, in 2009 alone, of the 65,000 convictions in TX, only 101 of those were CHL holders, which comes out to .154%. That is pretty damning evidence that says something. Namely that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. It's clear that people who are against citizen gun ownership do not care about the truth.

Springfield Armory xdm 9mm
Smith & Wesson M & P Shield 9mm
Sig Sauer Mosquito

We sleep safe in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who would do us ha

IP Logged

Dave49
YaBB Administrator

God Bless America!

Reading, PA
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2011 at 9:16am

But it becomes the old adage, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure".  For example, the anti's will then press the argument that  only 0.0026 of the total population of TX (24,782,302) was convicted of a crime.  Therefore those with CCW permits were 59 times more likely to be convicted of a crime than the gen'l population.  I realize this is bogus math but it certainly verifies the quoted statement and is right in line with the anti's rhetoric.  Someone who is not a math whiz will buy into this crap in a heartbeat.....unfortunately.

Proud firearm supporter
David J. Leonti  
IP Logged

RickO
Master Member

Ridge Runner

Saugerties, NY
Reply #6 - May 12th, 2011 at 9:35am

Actually Inkmancool.. that percentage is .00155%.... a bit different (your figure would equate to 9750 convictions.  Just a math error, but significant.

NRA Benefactor Member
LFI 1,2,3, Survival Tactics, Judicial Use of Deadly Force Instructor, Stressfire Instructor. THT Instructor
intellisleuth  
IP Logged

inkmancool

CT
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2011 at 8:51pm

RickO wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 9:35am:
Actually Inkmancool.. that percentage is .00155%.... a bit different (your figure would equate to 9750 convictions.  Just a math error, but significant.   

Even better. That .154% however is copied from the www.txdps.state.tx website link provided by Big Mickey above.

Springfield Armory xdm 9mm
Smith & Wesson M & P Shield 9mm
Sig Sauer Mosquito

We sleep safe in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who would do us ha

IP Logged

Rob Morse

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 12:29am

How many people with concealed carry permits have committed crimes?  I assume you're interested in the incidence per 100,000.  I've two questions.

1- Can we exclude law enforcement officers?  Their crime incidence exceeds that of citizens with CCW permits.

2- Can we exclude politicians?  Wink

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 6:24am

Rob Morse wrote on Jun 26th, 2011 at 12:29am:
How many people with concealed carry permits have committed crimes?  I assume you're interested in the incidence per 100,000.  I've two questions.

1- Can we exclude law enforcement officers?  Their crime incidence exceeds that of citizens with CCW permits.

2- Can we exclude politicians?  Wink

Several times over the years I've read that LEO's have higher rates of crime than the average CCH does, but I've never seen much in the way of statistics.

Re politicians, I'd certainly like to exclude them ...  Oh, sorry.  You mean exclude them from the database of CCH offenders.   Grin

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

IP Logged

RickO
Master Member

Ridge Runner

Saugerties, NY
Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 9:03am

Yes, I would like to see figures regarding LEO crime statistics as well.  I find that a startling statement and would be most interested in the research.

NRA Benefactor Member
LFI 1,2,3, Survival Tactics, Judicial Use of Deadly Force Instructor, Stressfire Instructor. THT Instructor
intellisleuth  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print